In response to the work plan of the municipal Party committee and the municipal government, based on the functional positioning and future development demands of Shenzhen Working People’s Cultural Palace, the International Bidding of Architectural SD for Overall Renovation of Shenzhen Working People’s Cultural Palace is officially launched. It is hosted by Shenzhen Federation of Trade Unions and Luohu District Government, Shenzhen and organized by Shenzhen Metro Group Co., Ltd., in a bid to seek the most creative proposal from all over the world.
Shenzhen Working People’s Cultural Palace (Shenzhen Staff Service Center) (“the Cultural Palace”) is a public welfare institution affiliated to Shenzhen Federation of Trade Unions. It was built in 1953 in the name of Bao’an County Worker’s Cultural Palace. It is located in the core area of Luohu District adjacent to Dongmen Commercial Pedestrian Street, a key section covered by Guangzhou-Shenzhen Intercity Railway. On the south of the Cultural Palace, there is a metro station for interchange between three metro lines, serving as a citywide passenger transport hub. The main function of the Cultural Palace is to offer culture, art and vocational training and accommodate recreational and sports activities for the working people. It is a front of Shenzhen Federation of Trade Unions to serve and a bridge linking closely with the working people.
With the rapid development of the city, the existing building of the Cultural Palace can no longer keep up with people’s increasing demands for recreational and sports activities. This makes it extremely urgent to renovate and upgrade the building. The new Cultural Palace will be a complex cultural landmark integrating culture, art, and public and supporting services. It will promote the upgrading and transformation of Dongmen Commercial Circle and create a fashion art center with regional influence in the future.
The Project neighbors People’s Park on the north, Shen Nan Da Dao on the south, the Guesthouse and Dongmen Commercial Circle on the east, and Buji River on the west. It enjoys a prominent location and pleasant natural environment. The site area of the Project is nearly 60,000m2, while its existing GFA is about 26,900m2.
The bidding will involve three stages: prequalification, schematic design, and bid finalization. Stage 1 (prequalification) involves urban design research and architectural conceptual design. The scope of urban design research covers the Cultural Palace, the Guesthouse, Dongmen Commercial Circle, Buji River and the residential district on the west of Buji River (see Fig. 1 for the scope of urban design research and Design Brief for the specific site scope).
Registration RequirementsDomestic and international design firms are welcome to register for the Design Competition.
1. Domestic and international design firms are welcome to register for the Design Competition.
2. Design firms need to provide an enterprise registration certificate and design license or relevant documents with the same effects.
3. Design firms with the same principle or withholding or management relationship shall not register for the competition simultaneously.
4. Consortium bid is acceptable (regardless of the border), but bid submitted by an individual or a team of individuals is not acceptable.
5. Members of consortium applicants should meet the following requirements:
(1) Each consortium should have no more than three members, and no member is allowed to register twice for the competition in the name of another firm or another consortium.
(2) The members should sign a legally effective Consortium Agreement, and specify the leading party, the division of work between the members in each design stage, the proportion, and way of the distribution of the design cost, etc.
6. The applicants should undertake to set up a project team with a fixed office in Shenzhen after winning the bid. The project team should be composed of a project principal and various disciplinary principals, who should cooperate with each other to complete the design work in each stage as required by the contract until the termination of the contract.
7. The applicants should assign a person who has directed design projects of the same type as the chief designer of the Project. The chief designer must take charge of the main design work of the Project and attend important presentation meetings required by the Host. If the chief designer’s profile is found to be inconsistent with the one submitted for prequalification, the Host is entitled to disqualify the bidder involved from being shortlisted and winning the bid, and hold such bidder responsible for corresponding legal liabilities.
The bidding is open to all design firms worldwide. Bidders will be required to submit a corresponding registration document and design proposal pursuant to the Bidding Rules and the Design Brief. Fifteen bidders will be selected through prequalification to participate in subsequent schematic design.
Referring to the Charging Standards for Engineering Survey and Design (2002 Revision) jointly formulated by the State Development Planning Commission and the Ministry of Construction, and the Announcement on the Preliminary Plan for Overall Renovation of Shenzhen Working People’s Cultural Palace (Shen Fa Gai  No. 248) issued by the Development and Reform Commission of Shenzhen Municipality, the SD fee of the Project is tentatively determined at about RMB 22 million yuan, while the construction content, size, standard, total investment, and design cost shall be subject to the project approval documents.
1st place (one winner): the 1st place will win the bid and obtain the design contract.
2nd place (two winners): each will receive Two Million Yuan (￥2,000,000.00) as a stipend.
Other shortlisted bidders (12): each will receive Eight Hundred Thousand Yuan (￥800,000.00) as a stipend.
This international bidding has been officially launched and welcome architectural companies worldwide. If you want to obtain the latest information and submit proposals, please pay close attention to our website or contact AIMIR.
In addition, AIMIR as one of the leading 3d rendering companies constantly delivers high-standard 3d visualization resolution and keeps an open mind to all comments and opinions, if you need 3d rendering service to preview your design, please feel free to drop us a line.